Monday, September 20, 2010

International Day of Peace

My birthday, September 21st (yes, today), is apparently also the International Day of Peace.  I find this interesting for several reasons, the first being that I've never heard of it before.  The second interesting thing about this is that for some reason the FSU wireless server (which I'm using right now) forbids access to the International Day of Peace website.  I'm not sure if there is a reason for this or if it is somehow in error, but, that said, I'm drawing this from Wikipedia.

Also known as World Peace Day, it was first celebrated in 1981, and is commonly recognized by a ceasfire in warzones, or lack of war altogether.  There is a "Peace Bell" at the UN headquarters, made of coins from countries around the world, rung on World Peace Day every year.  The Bell was donated by Japan, intended to be symbolic of the "cost" of war.  This year (today), comedy clubs around the world are participating in a program called "Stand Up for International Peace" in hopes of drawing media attention to the effort.

Other interesting September 21st events include the birth of Stephen King, the Death of Virgil, the first publication of the Hobbit, and, of course, my birth.  And to celebrate my birth and World Peace and the rest, I'll be sitting through six hours of classes and coming home to spend roughly as long studying.  Happy World Peace Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment