Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Response to Persepolis and interview with Marjane Satrapi

I thought the excerpt from Persepolis was relatively straightforward and easy to understand.  It was about a somewhat hot-button issue, which certainly made it interesting.  I had a little trouble figuring out where the narrator actually stood on the political issues surrounding her; at times it seemed she was pro-government, at times anti-government, sometimes capitalist, sometimes Marxist.  I eventually came to the conclusion that she seems to have changed her mind somewhere in the middle of the comic, and then changed her mind again right before the end, but I am not sure.  Overall I really liked this graphic memoir.

I thought the interview with Marjane Satrapi was a nice way of giving context to the work of Perseplois as a whole; it filled in some of the blanks left by the excerpt.  This interview got me interested enough that I think I would like to see the film as well.  I wasn't sure what to think of the author in the interview, but it was clear that she was proud of her work and pleased with the outcome.  The most interesting part to me was the fact that she was given total control over the film adaptation, something that (I think) is pretty rare.  That is the biggest thing that actually makes me want to see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment